Saturday, April 27, 2013

Springtime Fun - Mason Jar Herb Garden

I got up early this morning (well, early for me on a weekend) to plant a mason jar herb garden! I got the idea from Organic Authority, which is just filled with all sorts of awesome ideas.

I started from seeds, which I know is harder but it was also the cheaper option since I found a really good starters kit. And if it doesn't work, then I have a lot of leftover seeds, and if it never works, then I'll start out with a couple plants instead.

I just bought some patio furniture from Target the other week, and this was the first day where I had some time to sit out and enjoy the weather. It was very peaceful! I love that the weather is getting warmer but isn't unbearably hot. And we're due to have rain this weekend, which will wash away the pollen...temporarily.

I've never really grown any plants before. I had a basil plant once that was doing okay for a couple weeks until a roommate told me how to "improve it" (spoiler alert: it didn't improve), and I had an aloe plant that thrived for about a year or two. Sadly, one summer the plant got taken over by an ant colony while I was living in a dorm. Seriously, I picked up the pot and there was a massive colony, like eggs and everything, underneath and inside of it. I was completely freaked out and just left the plant outside the dorm when I moved out.

That probably would have been the last time I ventured into any kind of gardening, but I really like to cook. Sure, I go through periods when I can't stand the sight of the kitchen, but when I'm actually in the mood to cook, I have a great time with it. And I thought it would be excellent to have some fresh basil to mix in with my shrimp dishes, or oregano for pasta, and thyme for chicken. I've had fresh vs dried basil with shrimp Alfredo, and let me tell you, there is no comparison. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!



I'll try to do something cute with the markers if the herbs actually do end up growing, but for now I figured there was nothing wrong with staying simple. And that's sand in the bottom of the jars, to help with drainage. No holes in the jar, which could be bad, but it seems like a lot of people were actually able to grow a garden without drilling holes on the bottom, so we'll see.

So there you have it: my potentially disastrous, but still fun to put together, herb garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment